Responsible for fund raising, special events, endowments, and long range fiscal planning.
• Board Development/Nominating Committee: Responsible for:
• Selecting its own chair from among its members.
• Defining priorities in nominating new board members.
• Recruiting and meeting with prospective board members and recommending candidates to the board.
• Preparing job descriptions for the board’s officers and trustees.
• Conducting training sessions for new board members and appointing mentors from the existing board to assist each new appointee.
Buildings and Grounds:
• The care, maintenance and insurance coverage of the society’s properties.
• Oversight and authority over all signage used by the society.
• Work in concert with the Orange and Dutchess Garden Club, which is responsible for the care and maintenance of the 1810 House garden.
• Organizing and arranging for the buildings to be open and available for tours.
• Acquisition of items deemed desirable for the society to accession and de-accession following society practices (see, on file, the society’s Collections Management Policy for the full rules guiding acquisitions to, and de-accessions from, the society’s collections).
• Oversight of all of the society’s exhibits and displays of a historical nature.
• Oversight of all educational programs offered by the society.
• Coordinating with Buildings & Grounds for development of society signage.
• Finance/Audit/Budget: The chair of this committee shall be a trustee without authority to sign checks for the Society. It shall be composed of a minimum of three board members other than the treasurer and president, The committee shall:
• Arrange for the annual review or audit of the society’s financial records.
• Prepare a proposed budget to be presented at the board meeting following the annual meeting.
• Oversee budget expenditures.
• Oversee investments and report to the board on the performance of these investments on a quarterly basis.